13th January 2022

JARGON BUSTER Absent landlord
A landlord described as “absent” is one who cannot be contacted. If the lessees wish to create a Right To Manage Company but are unable to contact the landlord, they are free to make a legal application to acquire the right to manage.
The document you need to sign when accepting a lender’s mortgage offer. 
Administration fee
A fee which is charged to cover the costs of processing a document.
Annual Percentage Rate (APR)
The total cost of a loan, taking into account interest charges, arrangement fees and other costs, shown as a percentage.
Agreement fee
A payment which is charged to a landlord to cover the costs of drawing up a tenancy agreement 
ARLA Propertymark
The ARLA Propertymark (formally the Association of Residential Letting Agents), is the UK’s foremost professional body for letting agents.
Arrangement fees
These are fees charged by a mortgage lender or broker to arrange a loan.
To transfer the right or interest in a property from one person to another.
Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST)
A widely used rental agreement where the tenant is an individual and net rent does not exceed £100,000 a year. It covers a fixed period, so both parties know the date the property will be vacated.
Base rate
The rate of interest which the Bank of England charges for lending to other banks. These banks then use it as a benchmark for the interest rates they charge when lending money to consumers, often stipulating an interest rate “X% above the base rate”.
Break clause
A clause sometimes agreed between the landlord and tenant to be inserted in a fixed term agreement, typically if the initial fixed term is for a year or more. A break clause will usually allow either landlord or tenant to give written notice after a particular date or period of the tenancy in order to end the tenancy earlier than the original fixed term.
Bridging loan
A temporary short-term loan enabling someone to purchase a property before selling his or her existing property.
Building inspection/Structural survey
A report on the physical condition of a property. The surveyor will look at all accessible parts of the property and give a written report on defects or issues affecting it. See also HomeBuyer Report. Not to be confused with a mortgage valuation (see below).
Capital, also known as equity, is an asset that is less liquid than cash. It represents the amount of money you have put into a property, investment or deposit.
A chain is formed when several property sales and purchases are inter-dependent. A chain can be complicated but a good estate agent will be able to help keep it moving.
The point at which the sale of the property is concluded and the buyer receives the keys.
Completion statement
A document which your solicitor or conveyancer will provide as a record of all the financial transactions and costs.
Conditions of sale
The specific items in a sale contract that govern the rights of the buyer and the duties of the seller.
The legal document detailing the agreement of terms between the seller and buyer. When a sale is agreed, a draft contract is sent to the buyer by the seller’s legal representative and at exchange of contracts both parties are bound to a date on which to complete the sale.
Contract race
Where two or more purchasers are given a draft contract and the first one to exchange contracts buys the property.
A representative, solicitor or licensed conveyancer, who deals with the legal aspects of buying or selling a property. The buyer and seller will each appoint their own conveyancer.
The legal process of transferring the ownership of a property.
Rules governing the property in its title deeds or lease.
Credit search references
References requested for a tenant applying to take up rented accommodation. Many agents and individual landlords use external companies who will contact the applicant’s employer, landlord and check the tenant’s credit history, providing a report on their financial suitability to rent.
The legal documents that prove the ownership of the property.
When buying: The amount of money paid by the buyer on exchange of contracts, usually 10% of the purchase price.
When renting: A monetary sum held by the landlord or agent for security against damage to a property or a breach of the tenancy terms. This is usually the equivalent to five weeks’ rent but may vary. If the deposit is for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST), then it must be protected by one of the approved tenancy deposit protection schemes.
The Deposit Protection Service
The DPS is a custodial scheme authorised by the Government; it is free to use and open to all landlords and letting agents. It requires a tenant’s deposit to be paid over to the DPS for the duration of the tenancy. This amount is then paid back at the end of the tenancy when an agreement between both parties has been reached.
Items that have been damaged during a tenancy. The tenant is usually responsible for the cost of repair or replacement.
The items in addition to legal fees in conveyancing. These may include Stamp Duty Land Tax, Land Registry fees, search fees, mortgage redemption costs and any other expenses. All conveyancers should be able to estimate the likely level of disbursements before the transaction commences.
Draft contract
The initial version of the contract. This may be amended during the course of the sale but becomes final at the point of exchange of contracts.
A right that affects a property – such as the right of neighbours to pass over an access path or the right of the water company to have their pipes and drains running under the property.
Questions which are raised by the buyer’s conveyancer, often about survey, searches or property information forms.
The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) shows the energy efficiency and carbon emissions of a property and gives an indication of the fuel bills. It is displayed in graph form and a has a seperate report – the energy efficiency. Each is graded from A (the best) to G (the worst).
Your equity in your property is how much of it you own. It is the difference between the value of your home and the mortgage you still owe. Negative equity occurs when you owe more to your lender than the sale price of the property.
Exchange of contracts
The buyer and seller both sign the contract for sale and at a certain time and date the conveyancers action the exchange. At this point, the sale is binding and no terms may be altered.
Fixtures and fittings
When buying: Fixtures are items that have become part of a building or land and are therefore included in the sale. Fittings are not attached to the building or land and so are not included in the sale unless otherwise agreed. The seller will complete a fixtures and fittings form that will confirm what is included in the sale, what isn’t included, and what is for sale separately.
When renting: Items usually provided in a letting that may include curtains, carpets, blinds, light fittings, kitchen units and appliances. In some cases it may also include furniture. It is advisable to check what is provided and not to assume that items will be provided.
The broadest form of property tenure guaranteeing that occupation continues for an indeterminate period of time. This contrasts with leasehold, which is always subject to a specified period of occupation.
Gas safety record
A certificate that states all gas appliances, pipework and flues are safe. It is a legal requirement for all landlords and must be provided every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer after a safety check.
Where a sale is agreed to a buyer at a certain price and then the seller accepts a higher offer from another buyer. Note that until contracts are exchanged estate agents are bound by law to tell a seller about any offer they receive for a property.
Where a buyer reduces their offer just on the point of exchanging contracts.
Ground rent
The annual charge levied by the freeholder on the leaseholder of a property.
Home Buyer Survey/Report
A report designed in a standard and easily read format that tells a buyer about the physical condition of a property. Lists defects and grades their seriousness and need for attention. Not as detailed as a structural survey. Not to be confused with a mortgage valuation (see below).
Inventory/Record of condition
A list of the contents of a rental property. The inventory will note the condition of items and will form the basis of a dilapidation report at the end of the tenancy. It often includes photographs of specific items and existing damage/defects.
Land registry
A government office which is responsible for holding records of land ownership and any charges, including mortgages, against the property.
Land registry fee
A fee charged by the Land Registry to record the change of ownership of a property.
The legal document governing the occupation by the tenant of a premises for a specific length of time. At the end of the period the property reverts to the owner.
The use and occupation of a property by way of a lease agreement for a certain period of time. A lease is frequently applicable to flats but can also apply to houses. The term of a lease varies but is commonly 99, 125 or 999 years.
Listed building
Buildings of special architectural or historic interest. A listed building may carry certain obligations and restrictions governing its use, repair, and maintenance.
Local authority search
A buyer’s conveyancer makes a formal enquiry to the local authority to find out if there are any matters affecting the property that is being purchased.
Maintenance charge or service charge
Many leasehold properties (especially flats) are subject to such a charge which pays for items such as the insurance and maintenance of the building.
A flat in a larger building, typically with its own private entrance and over two floors.
Mortgage valuation
Very commonly and incorrectly referred to as a “mortgage survey”, the mortgage valuation is carried out by a surveyor acting on behalf of a lender to provide them with a professional report stating the value of the property. The purchaser usually pays the fee for this valuation.
Multiple agent instructions
Where more than one estate or letting agency firm is instructed by a seller or landlord to offer a property for sale or to rent.
NAEA Propertymark
The NAEA Propertymark (formally the National Association of Estate Agents), the UK’s leading professional body for estate agency.
Negative equity
Where the sale value of a property is less than the amount outstanding on the mortgage.
Open house (or open viewing)
A process, normally managed by an estate agent, where several house hunters are given a time of a few hours when they can all go and view a property for sale instead of separate, private viewings.
Open market value
The likely sale price of a property assuming a willing seller and a willing buyer, with a reasonable period of publicity and marketing and no special factors affecting the property.
Peppercorn rent
A very low sum of rent or ground rent. In the 16th and 17th century it was, literally, a peppercorn.
Preliminary enquiries
When a sale is agreed, the buyer’s conveyancer will send the seller’s conveyancer a standard list of questions about the property.
Property auctions
A sale conducted at a certain time by an auctioneer, either online or at a physical location, where competing buyers bid openly for a property and the highest bid wins. The purchase is binding on the fall of the hammer.
The Property Ombudsman
The Property Ombudsman offers a free and independent service for resolving disputes between sales and letting agents, which are members of The Property Ombudsman, and buyers/sellers of residential property in the UK.
The person buying a property.
If a mortgage is not paid over a period of time, the lender may ultimately take ownership of the property by the process of repossession.
These are conducted by your lawyer to check if there is anything that might affect the current or future value of the property. It is compulsory to have a local authority search before exchanging contracts.
Share of freehold
This is when the freehold of the property is owned by a limited company and the shareholders are the owners of the property, usually the owners of flats within that building.
Sole agent
Where only one estate or letting agency firm is instructed by a seller or landlord to offer a property for sale or to rent.
Sole selling rights
Where an estate agency or person is granted “sole selling rights” by the seller of a property, they will be able to claim an agreed fee regardless of who actually introduces the buyer.
Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT)
The tax paid to the government by the purchaser of a property. Rates of SDLT can vary. The Chancellor of the Exchequer has abolished stamp duty for first time buyers on homes worth up to £425,000.
Subject to contract
Where contracts are still not exchanged and nothing is yet legally binding on either seller or buyer.
This is a report prepared by a qualified building surveyor to check the structure for any faults. Homeowners can choose from three main types of structural survey, depending on how much information they want.
Possession of a property by a tenant under the terms of a lease.
Tenancy agreement
The legal agreement governing the occupation of a property by a tenant.
Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)
An insurance-based scheme run by The Dispute Service Ltd. for the protection of tenancy deposits and the resolution of disputes between landlords, agents and tenants concerning the return of deposits at the end of a tenancy. It is one of three schemes approved for tenancy deposit protection. TDS has recently launched a Code of Recommended Practice. This Code of Practice sets out the recommended requirements which letting agents and landlords should meet as members of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.
The person who has temporary possession of a property under a lease or tenancy agreement.
The mode of holding ownership of a property: for example, leasehold or freehold.
Title deeds
Documents detailing and confirming the legal ownership of a property.
Transfer document
The final legally binding document that transfers the property and all its rights from the seller to the buyer.
Under offer
A property becomes “under offer” when a seller accepts an offer from a buyer and the legal processes of the transaction begin.
Valuation (or market appraisal)
A term often used by estate agents to cover the process of them giving an opinion of the open market value of a property.
The person selling a property.

Content provided by OnTheMarket.com is for information purposes only. Independent and professional advice should be taken before buying, selling, letting or renting property, or buying financial products.
If you would like more information or discuss your next move please contact us on 01273 721061
or via our website