Guide to Renting


If you are looking for a property to rent, then make sure you give us a call to register your criteria so we can let you know of any new properties.


One of our staff will be happy to show you any property we currently have available. We often accommodate evening and weekend viewings as we appreciate it’s not always easy to view properties around a busy work schedule.  Our staff will be able to answer any questions that you may have on a viewing and advise you on the local area.


If you view a suitable property with us, and the landlord is agreeable with your position and timescale, we would require a holding deposit the equivalent to 1 weeks rent in order to secure the property in the interim whilst referencing is undertaken. (Please note, we do not accept card payments).


When you make an offer for tenancy of a suitable property, all prospective Tenants over the age of 18 years will need to complete initial application forms and produce identification at our office.

Using the information you provide, we will start the referencing process.

If, as in some cases a guarantor is required, we will need you to complete further forms and a charge will apply.


At the point we receive your holding deposit, you will be given referencing forms to complete. We will need references from your employer and current landlord (if applicable) and will also carry out financial checks including a credit check. Once the referencing is complete, we confirm your acceptance and moving in details.

An inventory company will carry out a schedule of condition known as a ‘check in’. This protects both landlord and tenant when it comes to disputes over deposit. A thorough inspection of the property followed by a report by an impartial party will leave no doubt as to the condition the property is taken in. This is also relevant for furnished lets, as an inventory will be taken of any furniture / appliances that are in the property and can be verified upon the ‘check out’.

You will be required to pay one month’s rent in advance as well as a dilapidation deposit equivalent to 5 weeks rent. All fees will be agreed prior to you placing your holding deposit for the property. These fees will be required in cleared funds prior to your move day.

You will be required to come into the office on the day the tenancy begins. Here you will go through the assured shorthold tenancy with one of our staff, sign your contract, take a copy of the schedule of condition and take your keys! You will have 7 days to return your schedule of condition with any discrepancies annotated on your copy.




The usual method of payment is monthly in advance by bankers standing order. All rents are exclusive of electricity, gas, water, telephone / broadband and Council Tax.

At the commencement of the tenancy, you will be required to transfer all household utilities and council tax into your name.

The Landlord is responsible for insuring the building and any furniture, fittings and effects provided by the Landlord. The Landlord is not responsible for insuring your own furniture or possessions and we therefore strongly advise you to insure your own effects.

If we are managing the property, then feel free to contact us anytime with any issues that may arise. If the landlord is managing the property, their contact details will be given to you along with your copies of the contract & schedule of condition.

Can my landlord enter the property?

Your landlord and their managing agent must give you sufficient notice if they wish to enter the property, except in the case of an emergency, such as a burst pipe.

What are my responsibilities?

By signing a tenancy agreement, you are agreeing to abide by all the terms contained within it. The most common duties you must perform as a tenant are to pay your rent on time, pay household bills without delay, report any damages you notice and maintain the cleanliness of the property.

Can my landlord increase the rent?

Your landlord must enter into a period of negotiations with you and we will be happy to mediate at this time to help find a satisfactory outcome.

Can I extend my lease at a property?

Once the initial fixed term has come to an end, it is often possible to renew it so you can continue living at a property. As the term comes into its final months you should talk to us and we can advise on your landlord's willingness to extend your stay.

What happens when I want to move out?

A period of notice will be set out in your tenancy agreement and you must give this when you intend to leave. Providing you follow this, it is easy to move out of a property, if you respect the timescales and procedures that are in place. You should tell us as soon as you have decided to move out and we will advise on your next steps.

When will my tenancy deposit be returned?

When you move out, we will schedule an independent check-out service and examine your inventory. We will report the results to both you and the landlord. Your deposit will then be returned in accordance with the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme, less any deductions.

How to Rent: The Checklist for Renting in England

Data Protection Act

Information supplied by you will be held on our computer records in accordance with the Company's notification under the Data Protection Act 1998. We may use this information or share it with other Agents, Landlords or members of ARLA, for account administration (including debt tracing and collection), credit, insurance, property and rental decisions. We may record sensitive personal data as defined in the 1998 Data Protection Act. You are entitled to ask for a copy of the information held about you subject to the payment of an administration fee which will be notified to you upon application and will not exceed the value set by statue. You have the right to request that it be amended if it is found to be incorrect.

The Proceeds of Crime Act 2002

We are obliged to obtain evidence of the identity of every new Tenant by asking for a copy of their passport, national identity document (providing it has a photograph) or photo-card drivers licence. If the Tenant is a company, we must check the identity of at least two directors, unless it is a publicly quoted company. If the Tenant is an offshore company or trust, we will need evidence of beneficial ownership. The consequences of our not adhering to the afore mentioned leaves us open to prosecution.

The Disability Discrimination Act 2005

We are fully compliant and for further information, please visit